Thursday 2 August 2012

A trip into town and the two loves of my life: food and Gatsby

Stocked up on more books from the library and other essentials this afternoon, think I needed a bit of a distraction from food to be honest! Needless to say the diet isn't going too great; had a slice of cake, currently supping some red wine and I've caught myself staring at the contents of the fridge three times today :/.

Putting food aside now, I thought today I'd write about a bit of an obsession of mine. When I was in year 12 (so like 2008 - sigh) we started reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, and I don't think I've recovered since. A few months after reading the book I stumbled across an article that Baz Luhrmann, the guy who directed Moulin Rouge, Romeo & Juliet and Strictly Ballroom (we won't mention Australia!) had just bought the film rights to The Great Gatsby,WITH Leonardo Dicaprio as lead and Carey Mulligan as Daisy, and I've been waiting in suspense ever since! The movie is due to come out around Christmas and I will be there watching it on its first night! I saw the 1970's version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and despite loving a bit of vintage Rob, I thought visually it was a bit of a letdown. If you've seen any of Baz Luhrmann's movies then I'm sure you'll understand why I think he's the right guy for the job (I almost die every time I see the Roxanne scene in Moulin Rouge!). If you want to see the Great Gatsby trailer then there's a link here :)
Is there any movies that anyone else is crazy about, or is it just me that's this mad?!
Muchos love,
Fran
xoxox
"And as I sat there, brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out Daisy's light at the end of his dock. He had come such a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close he could hardly fail to grasp it. But what he did not know was that it was already behind him, somewhere in the vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night."
The Great Gatsby
Chapter 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment